Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Donation by e-transfer and cheque are possible for donations over $200. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Why $200? Cheque and e-transfer donations are more time-consuming to process, whereas credit card donations are automatic. Focusing our time on only large donations allows us to do more good with our limited time.
Yes! You will see various privacy options as you move through the donation process. By providing information to the group organizers, you are giving Rethink Charity permission to pass that information on to the charity/charities represented by the group you donated to.
Yes! While making your donation you’ll find a dropdown menu entitled Repeat this gift? where you can choose to make this a one-off donation, a monthly donation on the 1st of each month, or a monthly donation on the 15th of each month. There are currently no options available to donate in a frequency other than monthly.
The Priority Foundation is a registered charity in Canada (BN: 845044296RR0001) whose purpose is to assist foundations in cross-border grants to 501(c)(3)s. If your group is showing disbursals to the Priority Foundation, it means this charity is only registered in the US, and donations must therefore pass through Priority before reaching their final destination.
Standard credit card fees apply for all relevant donations. The Charity Science, Rethink Charity, and Chimp Foundations charge no additional fees. The Priority Foundation charges a 4% administrative fee on all donations moving across the Canadian border to a US 501(c)(3). However, Charity Science is generously covering this fee for all donations made in 2017. Rethink Charity will strive to extend its “zero fees” initiative into 2018 and beyond.
Rethink Charity and Charity Science operations are independently funded by donors who believe they can multiply their impact by supporting projects like RC Forward. For example, it is possible that for every $1 that funds RC Forward, our team is able to raise $5 for effective charities. If that’s the case, then funding RC Forward would be the most cost-effective choice. If you’re interested in funding Rethink Charity, including RC Forward, SHIC, or any of our other projects, please email email@example.com.
When making a donation through any of the Chimp portals managed by RC Forward, you will have the following two options:
- Donate - no account required. With this option, you’ll be able to donate by credit card once or on a monthly basis. A tax receipt will be emailed to an address you provide. There will be no lasting record of your tax receipts or giving history accessible through the Chimp platform. There will be elements of the donation page, like group history, that you will not be able to see.
- Join - see the group before you donate. With this option:
- Your donation history and tax receipts will be retained in your Chimp account.
- You can deposit money into your personal Chimp account and disburse money to any charities or groups as you see fit. Monthly donations can be pulled from your Chimp account, rather than your credit card.
- You will be able to join groups and follow their progress, keeping a list of your interests for reference.
- You will be able to see “group history” for any group you’re giving to.
- If you’d like, you will receive occasional information regarding charities represented by groups you’ve joined.
Creating a Chimp account is free. You can find more information at help.chimp.net.
Yes, but donations are only tax deductible in Canada, despite the fact that donors will usually receive a receipt regardless of whether they have a valid Canadian physical address.
Donations made through the Charity Science Foundation, Chimp Foundation, or (soon) Rethink Charity Foundation are tax deductible for donors who hold a valid Canadian physical address.
Though a tax receipt will likely be issued regardless of where the donor resides, these receipts are only valid for Canadian tax benefits.
All charities we’ve selected, in addition to either being qualified donees according to the Canadian Revenue Agency or registered 501(c)(3)s in the USA, meet at least one of the following five criteria:
- The charity currently is or recently was recommended by a well-respected, unbiased, evidence-based charity evaluator. Examples include GiveWell and Animal Charity Evaluators.
- The charity has been identified by a third-party expert in the charitable sector as implementing extremely cost-effective interventions in its particular cause area.
- The charity is itself a well-respected, evidence-based charity evaluator or incubator.
- The charity serves to educate and build a community around concepts like high-impact and cost-effective charity.
- The charity’s intervention is as of yet unproven, though evidence reviewed by the experts mentioned above suggests the intervention is especially promising.
Our list of selected charities is not exhaustive by any means, and we hope to continue to add charities as time goes on. Rethink Charity reserves the right to add and subtract charities from the list with or without public explanation. We also reserve the right to deny any charity a spot on our list even if they meet one or more of the above criteria. With that said, we strive to be as inclusive as possible within the bounds of high-impact charity.
No problem! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll do our best to answer your questions.