Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! You will see various privacy options as you move through the donation process. By providing information to the group organizers, you are giving Rethink Charity permission to pass that information on to the charity/charities represented by the group you donated to.
Yes! While making your donation you’ll find a dropdown menu entitled Repeat this gift? where you can choose to make this a one-off donation, a monthly donation on the 1st of each month, or a monthly donation on the 15th of each month. There are currently no options available to donate in a frequency other than monthly.
Only small credit card fees apply to donations made online. No fees apply to cheque and e-transfer donations. Rethink Charity is currently covering any fees incurred by third-party platforms so 100% of your donation goes to the charity/cause of your choice. We will strive to extend our “zero fees” initiative indefinitely. Where applicable, donations are also subject to currency conversion below market rates, though RC Forward aims to minimize this loss.
Rethink Charity and Charity Science operations are independently funded by donors who believe they can multiply their impact by supporting projects like RC Forward. For example, it is likely that for every $1 that funds RC Forward, our team is able to raise $5 or more for high-impact charities. If that’s the case, then funding RC Forward would be the most cost-effective choice.
When making a donation through any of the Chimp portals managed by RC Forward, you will have the following two options:
- Donate – no account required. With this option, you’ll be able to donate by credit card once or on a monthly basis. A tax receipt will be emailed to an address you provide. There will be no lasting record of your tax receipts or giving history accessible through the Chimp platform.
- Join – see the group before you donate. With this option your donation history and tax receipts will be retained in your Chimp account. By joining you can deposit money into your personal Chimp account and disburse money to any charities or groups as you see fit. This way monthly donations can be pulled from your Chimp account, rather than your credit card.
Creating a Chimp account is free. You can find more information at help.chimp.net.
Yes, but donations are only tax deductible in Canada, despite the fact that donors will usually receive a receipt regardless of whether they have a valid Canadian physical address.
Yes, for anyone with a valid Canadian physical address. After donating you will receive a tax receipt immediately and automatically from CHIMP for online donations. Charity Science will provide tax receipts for cheque and e-transfer donations within a month of receiving the donation.
All charities we’ve selected meet at least one of the following five criteria:
- The charity currently is or recently was recommended by a well-respected, unbiased, evidence-based charity evaluator. Examples include GiveWell and Animal Charity Evaluators.
- The charity has been identified by a third-party expert in the charitable sector as implementing extremely cost-effective interventions in its particular cause area.
- The charity is itself a well-respected, evidence-based charity evaluator or incubator.
- The charity serves to educate and build a community around concepts like high-impact and cost-effective charity.
- The charity’s intervention is as of yet unproven, though evidence reviewed by the experts mentioned above suggests the intervention is especially promising.
Our list of selected charities is not exhaustive by any means, and we hope to continue to add charities as time goes on. Rethink Charity reserves the right to add and subtract charities from the list with or without public explanation. We also reserve the right to deny any charity a spot on our list even if they meet one or more of the above criteria. With that said, we strive to be as inclusive as possible within the bounds of high-impact charity.
No problem! Send an email to email@example.com and we’ll do our best to answer your questions.