Achieve your effective giving goals in 3 simple steps:
Select an amount and frequency
You can choose any amount to give as a one-time or monthly donation.
After you submit the donation form, our team will email you an official donation receipt. Use your receipt to claim charitable tax credits on your income tax return if you have a valid Canadian address. Check out our tax credit calculator to estimate the value of your donation’s tax credits.
Frequently Asked Questions
As of February 26, 2020, we allocate 4% of all donations made through our platform to our operations, except for donations that meet one of the following criteria:
- Donations made directly to our partner charities that are registered in Canada (i.e., Against Malaria Foundation and Iodine Global Network, as of February 2020). None (0%) of these donations will be allocated to our operations, unless the donor indicates that they wish to support our operations with a portion of their donation. (Note that this exception does not include donations to RC Forward Funds.)
- Large donations made by donors who have provided significant support for our operations in the past. These exceptions will be determined on a case-by-case basis through correspondence with the donor. If you feel this applies to you, please reach out to our team at the time of donation for more information.
- Donations made to charities that are not official partner charities (our partner charities are those listed on our website). In these cases, it is possible that a proportion of the donation larger than 4% will be allocated to our operations. The operations allocation will be determined on a case-by-case basis through correspondence with the individual donor.
We hope that this allocation will only be temporary. You can read more about our decision on this here.
Our goal is to maximize your donation’s positive impact on the world. In line with this goal, RC Forward is the most cost-effective way for Canadians to support our partner charities located outside of Canada. By using the RC Forward platform to donate to these charities, you’ll receive an official donation receipt that you can use to claim valuable charitable tax credits. If you were to donate through these charities’ websites, these tax credits wouldn’t be available. Given that Canadian charitable tax credit rates are generally between 20% and 49% of the amount you donate, they far outweigh the 4% of your donation that we allocate to RC Forward’s operations.
For charities that are already registered in Canada (Against Malaria Foundation, Schistosomiasis Control Initiative, and Iodine Global Network), you’ll receive the same tax benefits and similar credit card fees by donating via the charity’s website. In this case, the main advantage of giving through RC Forward is the convenience of making all of your high-impact donations in one place. However, if you’re only donating to one of these charities, or would prefer for your donation to be delivered to the partner charity instantly, giving through the partner charity’s website may be the best option for you.
Feel free to get in touch if you have additional questions about whether giving through RC Forward is right for you!
We use operations allocations to pay for
- Salaries for our team of four
- Third-party cross-border and fund transfer fee coverage;
- Technology, accounting, and legal costs, as well as conference attendance for our staff
If you are making a one-time donation over $1,000, or a monthly donation over $200, we recommend you connect with our team to maximize your impact by optimizing credit card fees. Please get in touch by emailing Siobhan at [email protected].
Yes, you can use RC Forward to donate from any country. However, you will only be able to use your official donation receipt if you have a valid Canadian physical address.
Yes! You will see various privacy options as you move through the donation process. By providing information to the group organizers, you are giving Rethink Charity permission to pass that information on to the charity/charities represented by the group you donated to.
Yes! While making your donation you’ll find a dropdown menu option entitled Repeat this gift? where you can choose to make this a one-off donation, a monthly donation on the 1st of each month, or a monthly donation on the 15th of each month. Unfortunately, there are currently no options available to donate in a frequency other than monthly.
All of our partner charities meet at least one of the following five criteria:
- The charity currently is or recently was recommended by a well-respected, unbiased, evidence-based charity evaluator, for example GiveWell or Animal Charity Evaluators.
- The charity has been identified by a third-party expert in the charitable sector as implementing extremely cost-effective interventions in its particular cause area.
- The charity is itself a well-respected, evidence-based charity evaluator or incubator.
- The charity serves to educate and build a community around concepts like high-impact and cost-effective charity.
- The charity’s intervention is as of yet unproven, though evidence reviewed by the experts mentioned above suggests the intervention is especially promising.
Our list of selected charities is not exhaustive by any means, and we hope to continue to add charities as time goes on. Rethink Charity reserves the right to add and subtract charities from the list with or without public explanation. We also reserve the right to deny any charity a spot on our list even if they meet one or more of the above criteria. With that said, we strive to be as inclusive as possible within the bounds of high-impact charity.
More About High-Impact Giving
What is High-Impact Charity?
High-impact charity is about finding the most cost-effective solutions to the world’s biggest problems. Through careful, evidence-based reasoning, most individuals can have a much bigger impact on the world than they realize.
Finding Outstanding Opportunities to Do Good
Finding charities that make the biggest impact is no easy task. The biggest and most well-known charities aren’t always the most effective. A charity might be excellent at collecting donations, but poor in meeting objectives and making a meaningful impact.
Identifying the most effective charities in the world requires hard data, rigorous analysis, and critical thinking. Fortunately, charity evaluators such as GiveWell, The Life You Can Save, Animal Charity Evaluators, and Founders Pledge have already identified effective charities and are continuously searching for more.